I love scones! However they are usually quite sugary and made with wheat flour, not a great fit for the ethos of my blog. So a recipe had to be found!
Also I've had a pear and maple syrup cake that I've been dying to make but it has 200g of sugar and a ton of butter!!! Delicious, but not a healthy treat at all!
So I took out my old recipe book (which is now falling apart) and swapped sugar for maple syrup and more ground almonds. Butter for coconut oil. Here is the result! Enjoy!
- 3 cups ground almonds
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, warmed to melt but not hot
- 2 eggs/flax eggs (see note below)
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large ripe pear, skin removed and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- flaked almonds for the top
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix together. Sieve the baking powder to remove lumps.
- In a small bowl/large cup, add the wet ingredients and whisk together with a fork.
- Add wet ingredients and the chopped pear to the large bowl and use your hands to mix together, the dough should be wet enough that it sticks together easily.
- To prepare the dough for cutting, sprinkle some ground almonds on a clean counter top before pressing the dough down until its rough 3cm thick, use a glass to cut out scones and place on a lined baking tray. I got 6 scones.
- Press a small amount of flaked almonds into the top of each scone for an extra crunch!
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check for the last five minutes. You want the outside to be golden.
- To make vegan eggs, grind three tablespoon of raw flax/chia seeds with a pestle and mortar to a fine powder. Add three tablespoons of water per tablespoon of flax, ie. 9 tbsp. Whisk with a fork or a whisk. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to an hour to set. Voilà!