This recipe is inspired by the Moroccan Chickpea Hotpot in Eastern Seaboard, Drogheda. I get it every time I go there. Much to my boyfriend's annoyance. "Try something different!" I tell him, "at least it's not pork belly" which I order everywhere! Plus I've had buckwheat in my cupboard for some time and this is the perfect recipe to begin cooking it at last!
Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat and is a gluten-free alternative. High in iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and many other nutrients, Buckwheat contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein for vegetarians. Chickpeas also add some healthy protein and fibre to this dish, leaving you satisfied, but not too full, for many hours.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced/grated
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 1 large carrot, diced into small cubes
- 1 courgette, diced into small cubes
- zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- a jar of tomato passata (use enough to cover)
- 3 tbsp of fresh coriander and parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Cook buckwheat according to package instructions. Be sure to rinse buckwheat well first.
- In a large pot over a medium -high heat add the coconut oil. Allow to melt and swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until onions have softened. Then add all the spices and sauté until you can really smell the flavour.
- Add chickpeas, carrot and courgette, stir to coat and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the passata, lemon rind and juice. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, fill half a bowl with buckwheat and top with chickpea stew. Sprinkle with coriander and parsley leaves.
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe. Check out my Pinterest Board with all of my other recipes here.