This Mexican Three Bean Salad is delicious and incredibly easy to prepare. It is one of my go-to meal prep recipes every time I want to fill my fridge with healthy meals and perfect for on-the-go lunches, summer picnics and barbecues!
This salad is bursting with refreshing flavour from a Lime and Coriander Vinaigrette and crisp colourful veggies. It is high in fibre, a good source of plant-based proteins and an excellent source of vitamin C! It will keep you full and satisfied for hours after eating it.
It is ideal for entertaining because you can make it ahead of time. In fact, it may even taste best when made in advance. All the lovely spicy flavours from the dressing have time to soak into the beans! Yum!
This filling and tasty Mexican Bean Salad is the ultimate stress-free, make-ahead dish to have in your repertoire.
- 1 small tin of kidney beans
- 1 small tin of black beans
- 1 small tin of cannellini beans
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red/yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
Lime and Coriander Dressing:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lime Wedges
- Whole Coriander Leaves
- Dressing: Whisk together the Dressing ingredients until well combined. Set aside so the flavours begin to develop.
- Salad: Drain the tins of beans and corn and thoroughly rinse and allow to drip dry while you dice the vegetables to your liking.
- Combine: Add everything except the avocado to your serving bowl and mix well so that it is all coated in the dressing. Cover and stash in the fridge for an hour or more before serving so that the beans can soak up all those flavours.
- Serve: Dice the avocado and add to the salad. Mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. It’s important to add the avocado at the last minute to keep it from turning brown. Then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. You may find that it needs a bit more salt or a squirt of lime juice, as the flavours tend to mellow in the fridge.
- Serve garnished with some lime wedges and whole coriander leaf. That’s all there is to it. Enjoy!
- I occasionally use two tins of mixed beans instead of individual tins of bins.
- Leftovers are delicious! Store the leftover salad in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Dried kidney beans are toxic if eaten, once the beans have been properly cooked they are safe to eat. If you buy tinned kidney beans, as suggested, they have already been cooked so are safe to eat immediately once drained and rinsed.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I'd love to know how it turned out! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @PilatesBarreDlk. I would love to see yours! And you can see my other recipes on my Pinterest Board here.