Katsu is a Japanese method of breadcrumbing chicken. Japanese Katsu curry is thicker and sweeter than Indian curry and is always served with a bed of rice. You can buy a curry powder mix and add or use the measures in this recipe. I looked for the ratio of spices that would replicate a Japanese flavour.
You can blend your sauce before serving. It's a great way to sneak veggies into meals for those who would otherwise not eat them.
Japanese Katsu Curry Recipe
Ingredients: serves 4
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs beaten
- coconut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- thumb sized piece of ginger, grated finely
- 1 small sweet potato or butternut squash, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 sweet apple, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tin of coconut milk
Katsu Curry Spice mix:
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- tsp ground cumin
- tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 ground clove
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil for the rice.
- Trim any excess fat/gristle off the chicken. Beat with a wooden hammer to tenderise and flatten. Dip to coat in beaten eggs and then coat with desiccated coconut. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and fully cooked, turn over halfway through.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil (1 tbsp) in a large saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook to soften 3-5 minutes.
- Add the potato cubes, apple cubes and sliced carrots and stir to lightly fry.
- Add your spices and stir to release the flavours, 2 minutes or so.
- Add rice to the boiling water and turn down to simmer. (Check packet instructions for cooking time. You may want to start the rice earlier.)
- Add the honey, stir to coat vegetables and coconut milk and bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Serve curry on a bed of rice with the sliced chicken breast on top.