I had been craving some comfort food recently, despite the gorgeous warm weather. Something more traditional, creamy and delicious but not one that will create a spare tyre!
I knew I wanted to make something with bone broth as I want to eat a lot more of that for my skin. So Chicken Casserole was the first thing to come to mind. I don't eat dairy so I used coconut milk for the creaminess. Easy Peasy!
Ingredients: Serves 4
- Coconut oil, for frying
- 4 small chicken breasts, sliced into 2cm strips
- salt and pepper
- 1 package of chestnut mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 head of broccoli/cauliflower, cut into little florets
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tin of full-fat coconut milk (I use Chaokoh)
- 400ml of chicken bone broth
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour or coconut flour
- pinch of smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Steam the broccoli/cauliflower until just barely cooked and set aside, uncovered.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pan over medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot, add chicken and saute until golden. Work in batches if needed so you don’t crowd your pan. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven. Transfer chicken to a casserole baking dish.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan. Add the mushrooms and onions, saute until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become soft and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 min. Add dry white wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Spread over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Add coconut milk, broth and pinch of smoked paprika to the pan, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add flour a little at a time to thicken the sauce. Allow to absorb the water in the sauce before adding more. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Pour over everything in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or hot over potatoes.