This is one of the first recipes I remember learning how to make when I was a teenager. I was determined to learn to cook from scratch. I thought cooking from a jar was cheating and I wanted to know what was in my food. My mum was happy to have dinner made for everybody too. She kindly ate whatever was put in front of her, regardless of the taste and always encouraged me even when the dinner was a disaster! Luckily I did cook a healthy and tasty meal from time to time, such as this one.
- tbsp coconut oil
- 900g potatoes
- 1 cauliflower broken into florets
- 225g green beans, chopped
- 125g frozen peas, defrosted
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- tsp mustard seeds
- tsp coriander seeds
- tsp cumin seeds
- tsp turmeric
- tsp chilli powder
- tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks. cook in boiling salted water for for about 8 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Blanch the cauliflower and beans in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, Drain
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fru the mustard, coriander and cumin seeds for 2 minutes. Cover with a lid as the mustard seeds will pop as they get hot.
- Then add the potatoes, cauliflower, beans, turmeric and chilli powder. Toss the veg over a high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, 150ml water, salt, pepper and peas. Mix together well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
[gumroad id=”VDOdf” type=”embed”]